Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Altec A7 measured...

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member fpitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    You have to question the methodology when someone doesn't even bother to blow the dust off. It's obvioulsy a half-as*ed test at best.
    This is what caught my eye:

    The compression driver is intended to operate above 500 Hz. However, in the testing a cap was used which wasn't the ideal value, along with the active crossover. The cap provided filtering in the wrong place, meaning we can't properly evaluate the extension as it isn't fairly represented.

    So, the wrong crossover, with an active crossover tossed in. No mention of setting the proper delay for phase integration. I hope it's just that he didn't care, otherwise I have to question his intelligence.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    What bugs me most is that somewhere in the future somebody will cite/post this article to objectively qualify their opinion that all VOT's sound bad.

    You know the deal, if somebody said it on the internet, it must be true especially if it was written in an article.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    The Red Spade article is bunk, it lacks credibility and should not be published. It is haphazard and careless, doesn't begin to accurately represent an A7 system.

    As GM has pointed out, the drivers are not to spec. There is no useful baseline/reference data. The 908(a symbiotik loaded driver) was NEVER part of an A7 system.
    Yeah, I've 'known' Paul for many years and really surprised/disappointed with this as he knows better; check out his Unity/Synergy horn concept work to see what he's capable of.

    Right, I was 'half past dead' myself when I posted and should have noted that the diaphragm was probably for a prosound app and in probably worse shape than the woofer. Still, its broadband dip has me thoroughly baffled unless maybe the diaphragm is partially separated from the surround, which was/is a common problem, but never actually measured one to see how it affects performance.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    I suppose the article is just mis-titled, i think my arguments all lose momentum were the title "Measuring This Old Speaker".
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member fpitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I suppose the article is just mis-titled, i think my arguments all lose momentum were the title "Measuring This Old Speaker".
    Well, this old speaker with the wrong crossover and damaged drivers. At some point, one has to ask what is the purpose of the measurement.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec A7 measured...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    I measured mine last night...with my ears.

    After attending the Kansas concert Sunday night, I dug through my unalphabetized albums and found my old copy of Leftoverture and dropped it on the platter. Holy cow did it sound great. Might have been the bucket subs, or the vinyl, but my kids and neighbors got the full treatment while I was manning the BBQ.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member fpitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    I measured mine last night...with my ears.

    After attending the Kansas concert Sunday night, I dug through my unalphabetized albums and found my old copy of Leftoverture and dropped it on the platter. Holy cow did it sound great. Might have been the bucket subs, or the vinyl, but my kids and neighbors got the full treatment while I was manning the BBQ.
    I hope you EQed in a 45dB peak at 5.6kHz, I hear they have a big notch there

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    I hope you EQed in a 45dB peak at 5.6kHz, I hear they have a big notch there
    I believe that would technically be a crevasse.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    I have lived with A7's for most of my adult life. The bump at 200hz is real, and it sounds bad. I measured it long ago, and heard it before I ever measured it. I just use a 12 band EQ to knock it down. And bump up below about 40hz. Surprisingly, the speaker sounds HI FI after doing only that.

    Clearly the driver/horn combo in that article is busted. The VC is probably burned and rubbing in the gap.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member fpitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7 measured...

    Quote Originally Posted by paul300b View Post
    Hi,
    First post here. I own a7/ 825 cabs loaded with 802-8g and 416-8a drivers. (plus corner cabs with 803b/ 288-16g's). A couple of weeks ago this was posted on an Australian guy's site.
    Red Spade Audio: Altec A7 Voice of the Theatre horns measured

    Both the 511 horn and cab with 416-8b don't measure too well. Anyone measure theirs?
    Zilch was more conventional, and measured the 511 with a working driver, in his case a B&C DE250:

    DE250 on 511A.jpg

    From here:

    http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpos...96&postcount=1
    Last edited by fpitas; August 13th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.